Soon before the war started another factory had been established at Oxley on the Stafford Road. Messrs. Macfarlane and Robinson built a plant for the production of enamel holloware, which was used during the war for shell inspection, but it did not survive the early post-war depression and closed in 1926. The premises were bought by the Goodyear Tyre and Rubber Company in 1927, an enterprise which continued to expand until it employed 1700 people in 1939.
The effect of the Great War can best be illustrated by the War Memorial in the Parish Church, although it seems unlikely that the names listed there are the total number of men who died. Reminders of life on the Western Front, if they were needed, were the ambulance trains bringing wounded men from France, which were routed from the GW system at Cannock Road up onto the Grand Junction line, and so to hospitals in the north of England, over the same route as that used by Queen Victoria in the 1860s. Another reminder was the training of young horses for pulling gun limbers on the slopes of Bushbury Hill, a far cry from the Phillips family and their race horses in the previous century.
By far the greatest change of the 1920s was the building of the Low Hill estate of council houses. 101 acres of land were purchased from the Showell Estate and a further 232 acres from the Low Hill Bushbury Estate Company. Low Hill House, and later Showell Farm were demolished, and by 1927 nearly 2000 houses had been built by various contractors for Wolverhampton Corporation. A complete new road system was laid down obliterating the old bridleways which had linked Showell Farm, Low Hill House, Bushbury Hill Farm and Oldfallings.
More council houses were built in the 1930s, between Bushbury Lane and Fordhouse Road and in Three Tuns Lane, and several hundred houses were built by private developers in the Elston Hall and Marsh Lane areas.
The first direct impact of the Second World War in Bushbury was the arrival at the end of May 1940 of trainloads of exhausted men from Dunkirk. The green Southern Railway coaches travelled up from the G.W. Junction at Cannock road, and as they waited for the London Midland engine from Bushbury sheds, the people from the Showell Road area brought jugs of tea and sandwiches, until the trains moved on to the north.
Bushbury was fortunate, like most of Wolverhampton, to escape heavy bombing, unlike Birmingham and Coventry. Late in 1941 a single German aircraft dropped two kilogramme incendiary bombs on the council houses between Bushbury Hill and the `Pear Tree'; the empty `stick' fell in Elston Hall lane. There was some damage but no casualties.
There were the usual celebrations and street parties at the end of the war. Slowly the surviving servicemen began to come home. More new houses were built:, and Bushbury, now with a population several hundred times larger than that of 1550, took its place in the "consumer society" which was to develop in the second half of the twentieth century.