Universal Credit Help

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit you must notify DWP of your annual rent increase at the beginning of each April. When you receive your rent increase letter from the Council, keep it safe so you can provide the information to the DWP.

Universal Credit (UC) replaces Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance and Housing Benefit.  If you are currently in receipt of any of these then you will be moved onto UC at some point.

Most people who have a change in circumstances that changes the type of benefit they claim must make a claim for UC which means the number of people on UC is increasing all the time.

In order to claim UC you will need:

  • Proof of identity, ideally a passport or driving licence
  • Your own email account
  • Your own bank account (not a Post Office account)

You will then have to apply and manage your UC account online. UC is paid monthly in arrears and you will have to wait 5 or 6 weeks for your first payment, although you can get an advance on this (which you must pay back). Any money to help pay your rent will be included in your UC and you will be responsible for paying your own rent. You should plan to get your rent account into credit now so that you can cope with the move to UC.

If you are affected by any general money problems or debt please phone the Management Centre on 01902 552995 to make an appointment with Shirley or Lisa.

For more information on Universal Credit, Please visit the DWP website here.

Our vision is at the heart of the service we provide to our tenants, we work to a clear set of values. 

Aiming to deliver high quality customer service & provide high standard homes for our tenants.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can change this and find out more by following this link

Accept Cookies