If you smell gas please call Cadents emergency line straightaway – 0800 111 999. For more information, please visit cadentgas.com
Do open doors and windows to ventilate your home
Do turn off the gas at the meter if possible – you will find the tap located next to the gas meter in the sink unit in the kitchen. It has a handle that can be turned through 90 degrees.
Do keep out of rooms where the smell of gas is strongest
Do put out any naked flame (including cigarettes etc)
Turn on any electrical equipment or any lights on or off
Smoke or light any sort of flame within the property
Use any appliance that may cause a spark
It is really important that you allow access to your home for the annual gas service to be completed. These are undertaken by Dodd Group on behalf of Wolverhampton Homes.
Initially you will receive a letter offering an appointment. If this is not convenient you must follow the instructions contained in the letter to rearrange the visit.
If required you will be contacted several times in order to gain access to your home. If this is unsuccessful legal action may need to be taken giving the right to access your home and disconnect your gas supply. You may then have to pay any court costs.
This action would always be a last resort so several attempts will be made to arrange an appointment.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas that can’t be see, smelled or tasted. It can be caused when gas fittings are not properly fitted, maintained or ventilated. Carbon Monoxide can kill in minutes.
Your property should be fitted with at least one Carbon Monoxide detector. This is tested during annual gas service referred to above.
If you suspect CO turn OFF your gas supply at the meter if possible – you will find the tap located next to the gas meter in the sink unit in the kitchen. It has a handle that can be turned through 90 degrees.
The following simple steps could help reduce your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:
Every 5 Years an electrical safety (or ‘periodic’) check will be carried out in your home.
The checks are completed on behalf of Wolverhampton Homes by Dodd Group and may take a couple of hours.
You will be contacted ahead of any visit
Faulty electrical appliances/installations can increase your bills, cause power outages and perhaps worst of all result in a fire at your home.
When asked then please allow access for the check to be completed as soon as possible.